LSE matches individuals who generally would not have access to specialized legal services with experienced business attorneys from a variety of law firms at no cost. The entire placement process can take up to one month. However, LSE may be able to provide more immediate legal services for clients with urgent deadlines.
In determining whether an individual is eligible for pro bono legal services, Legal Services for Entrepreneurs will consider both the individual and the business’ potential impact on the surrounding community. Specifically, LSE will evaluate these factors:
- Household income
- Access to credit and capital
- Jobs created for local residents
- Benefit to the community
Referral and Business Support
We prefer that applicants:
- Be referred by a community based or microenterprise development organization;
- Complete or participate in a small business development training program sponsored by a government or community organization; and
- Have a written business plan. (See our Resources page for referral information if you do not yet have a business plan and are not connected with an organization providing business/microenterprise support.)
Area of Legal Services Requested
The nature of the legal services provided are limited to general legal advice/counsel, forming and/or operating a business, contract review/development, review of commercial leases, trademarks or copyrights, and employment issues. We do not provide tax, bankruptcy, or litigation services.
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW AND PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE A COPY OF YOUR MOST RECENT TAX RETURNS.