Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, founded in 1968, works to advance, protect and promote the legal rights of communities of color, and low-income persons, immigrants, and refugees. Assisted by hundreds of pro bono attorneys, LCCR provides free legal assistance and representation to individuals on civil legal matters through direct services, impact litigation and policy advocacy.
- Equal access to justice depends on access to quality legal services
- Neither race nor immigration status should affect a person’s success or failure
- Economic empowerment is key to the civil rights movement
- Injustice must be rooted out
- The true needs of the community must be central to any litigation or advocacy agenda