About Us
Our Work
Get Help
Get Involved
Get In Touch
Get Connected

Reentry Legal Services

The Second Chance Legal Clinic assists clients who are working to overcome barriers to employment and housing due to past arrest and conviction records. We help with the following issues:

  • Criminal record remedies ("expungement")
  • Occupational licensing
  • Criminal background reports
  • Public and private housing applications and denials
  • Employment
  • Driver's license suspensions

The Clinic is held in partnership with Mo'MAGIC, a community umbrella organization in the Fillmore, on the last Tuesday of each month.

To sign up for the Clinic, call our intake hotline: 415-814-7610.

Clinic details:

Second Chance Legal Clinic
Last Tuesday of Each Month at 6pm
at the West Bay Community Center, 1290 Fillmore Street (at Eddy Street)
Closest Bus Lines: 31, 22, 38, 5

Click here to see upcoming clinic dates.

To receive the best legal advice, we encourage clients to bring a recent RAP sheet. The steps for obtaining a RAP sheet are below. Before getting your RAP sheet, call our hotline (415-814-7610) to make sure that a RAP sheet will be helpful for your case.

How to Get a Copy of Your RAP Sheet:

San Francisco County RAP sheet
If you are certain that all of your past arrests and convictions were only in San Francisco County, you can pick up your RAP sheet at the address below. Be sure to bring photo ID. If you think you might have an outstanding warrant, call our hotline first (415-814-761) before going to get your RAP sheet.

San Francisco Police Department Identification Bureau
Hall of Justice
850 Bryant Street, Room 475, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Fee: $0

Statewide RAP Sheet
If you have had any arrests or convictions outside of San Francisco County or if you are unsure, you can get a statewide RAP sheet from the California Department of Justice by following the instructions below:

1. Fill out a "Request for Live Scan" form.

  • For detailed instructions and links to the forms, see the Department of Justice website.

2. Get electronic fingerprinting (Live Scan) Bring "Request for LiveScan" form to a Live Scan Provider to have your fingerprints taken. For a list of fingerprint locations, click here.

3. You will receive your RAP sheet in the mail.

*Important Information About Fees

  • To obtain a statewide RAP sheet, you must pay the $25 fee charged by the Department of Justice, and the fee charged by the Live Scan provider (usually $15-$25).
  • If you are currently receiving public assistance (including food stamps, SSI, unemployment, etc.), you can request a waiver of the $25 fee from the Department of Justice.
  • To request a fee waiver:
    • Send a fax cover sheet and fee waiver form and proof of public assistance to the Department of Justice:
      Fax: 916-227-1964
      Mail: Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information
             Attention: Record Review Unit
             P.O. Box 903417
             Sacramento, CA 94201-4170
    • You will receive a "Request for Live Scan" form in the mail. Take this form to the Live Scan provider for your fingerprinting (see Step #2)
  • If you do not receive a "Request for Live Scan" form in the mail within two weeks of your request, please contact Lawyers' Committee (415-814-7610).

Questions? Contact us at 415-814-7610 or secondchance@lccr.com.

back to top

Donate Today

Other Resources

Contact us

Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights
131 Steuart Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94105

Phone: 415-543-9444
Fax: 415-543-0296
Email: secondchance@lccr.com